Why asks the question “why does the UUMA exist?”
This is our statement of purpose.
We, the Board of Trustees of the Unitarian Universalist Ministers Association, understand the purpose of the UUMA to be:
The Unitarian Universalist Ministers Association
Calling forth courageous and transformative ministries
empowered by love
committed to collective liberation
...because we need one another.
How asks the question “how does the UUMA do its work?”
This is our statement of values.
We understand that we will approach our work with the following values…..
- Integrity – We are true to our word and our evolving ministerial calls, upholding promises and vows we have made to each other, to ourselves, and to our faith. We adhere to the theological, moral and ethical principles of Unitarian Universalism in our ministries and in our lives.
- Accountability – We willingly accept responsibility for our decisions, choices, and deeds. We hold ourselves and each other accountable to our covenants between us.
- Justice – We commit to building a more equitable world by decentering whiteness, dismantling white supremacy culture, honoring diversity, and practicing inclusion and accessibility.
- Faithfulness – We will be guided in our work by that ineffable force that pulls us to embody compassion, hope, and steadfastness in the midst of a hurting world.
- Leadership – We embrace the opportunity to lead, take risks, act with humility, and be vulnerable in our humanity.
- Transparency - We are forthcoming about the power we have, the power we share, and the power we wield. We communicate often and clearly about what we do, how we do it, and why.
What asks the question “what does the UUMA do?”
This is our statement of what we offer.
The Why and How statements are the work of the UUMA Board as a whole. The Executive Team holds primary responsibility for identifying the What, with the input of the whole Board, of course. You can think about the What as our Executive Team strategic plan for advancing the Why through our programs, ministries and operations. The major headings for this plan are below:
- We Promote Lifelong Growth and Learning in Ministry
- We Support ministers in all stages and settings
- We Maintain Guidelines and offer accountability processes
- We Work to dismantle systems and structures of racism and oppression
- We Conduct our operations in alignment with our values
- We Provide spiritual, theological, and religious leadership throughout Unitarian Universalism.