It is generally understood that rites of passage are offered freely to contributing members of a minister’s congregation. The following fees apply to non-members/contributors and to requests for service from those persons and congregations a minister does not contractually serve.
- WEDDING: $400; with rehearsal $450; alternatively, 10% of total wedding budget plus current IRS mileage allowance
- FUNERAL, MEMORIAL SERVICE OR OTHER RITES OF PASSAGE: $250; with committal or eulogy $300 plus current IRS mileage allowance
- SERMONS, WORSHIP SERVICES: $250 (one service) $300 (two services) $350 (three services) plus current IRS mileage allowance
- OTHER PROGRAM SERVICES: $75 per hour of presentation plus current IRS mileage allowance
- WORKSHOP OR THEME TALK: $250 for half day or $400 full day plus current IRS mileage allowance
If overnight lodging is required, the host society assumes the cost. Some ministers prefer home hospitality; others are more comfortable in a motel or hotel. The decision should be made by the minister. The UUMA strongly urges that all financial arrangements between the minister and individuals or congregations be clearly stated and agreed to in advance. The use of the funds for these services shall be left entirely to the discretion of the minister.
History of Revisions:
2004: A survey of usual, customary, and desired fees was
conducted in August 2003 by Barbara Davenport and Arthur Berman of the UUMA
guidelines revision committee. Data were gathered from: UUMA Chapter Presidents, the UUMA chat line and
key informant questionnaires,
covering varying congregation sizes and
locations in North America. These recommendations were passed at the June 2004 Annual Meeting and included in the Guidelines.
2011: The scale of fees was removed from the
Guidelines document and revisions adopted by the Executive Committee in
March 2011 and presented to the membership at the June 2011 Annual